Coordinates: latitude: 54 ° 02’17 “N, Length: 21 ° 45’51” E
Altitude: 120 m
The city covers an area of 13.87 km2 (the most recent data is from 2002).
Giżycko is located in the central part of the Mazury Lake District in the Great Mazury Lakes. The history of Giżycko begins in the fourteenth century, when in the year of 1340 the Knights built a castle located on the strategic isthmus between the Niegocin and Kisajno Lakes. The name of the castle was Lötzen.
During the Teutonic origin, guerrilla peasant was acted near the castle. In 1455 the castle has been conquered and destroyed by the Poles.
After the Thirteen Years’ War (1454-1466), the territory as a fief drafted into the Polish, and the castle was rebuilt.
From the middle of the fifteenth century, near the castle new estate began to emerge (New Village), which on May 15 in 1612 received the city rights. The town received its name from the castle – Lötzen (Lec), and for centuries has bore the name.
The dynamic development of the town occurred in the second half of the nineteenth century. Between the years of 1843 and 1851 public works for the construction of the fortress were extensive. The hotel was named after the Prussian General and Minister of War von Boyen.
After the World War II, the town bore the old name Lec, however shortly after began to use the name Łoczany. Later on it adopted the name Luch. In 4th of March 1946 the Commission for the Determination of Place Names established in honour of Gustav Gizewiusza (Giżycki) for the name of the city Giżycko.
At the end of the nineteenth century Gizycko city has been appreciated for its tourist attractions. The city has its glory during interwar and it became the fashionable resort surrounded by many magnificent lakes.
During those years range of hotels, guesthouses, cafes and restaurants have been developed. Also, new port has been built as well as a new luxury swimming pool located over the Niegocin Lake. The Masurian Lake District is the only Polish candidate in the international competition of the New7Wonders Swiss foundation, New 7 Wonders of Nature, who got to the final and now it is among the 14 most beautiful places in the world.
Administratively Gizycko is located in the eastern part of the Warmia-Mazury which is from the north-east side of Olsztyn. The city is the county seat of Giżycko and rural municipality Giżycko. Until 1975 the town administratively belonged to the province of Olsztyn however after administrative changes the city was annexed to the province of Suwalki.
Location of this beautiful city lies on the Niegocin and Kisajno Lakes (southern part of the complex Mamre) and also Tajty and Wojsak Lakes. The Niegocin and Kisajno Lakes (by the bay Tracz) are connected by Gizycki canal (Łuczański) and the Niegocin Lake connects with the Niegociński Canal and the Tajty Lake, further connects with Beautiful Mountain Channel and the Kisajnem Lake. Part of the town is located on the so-called Giżycka Island, isthmus on each side surrounded by lakes and canals.
Surroundings Giżycka have the largest number of lakes in Poland, their share in the total use of land area is 11.89% (23 986.6 ha). In the vicinity of Giżycko the following lakes can be found: Wilkasy, Side, Niałk, Grajewko, Rudzkie, Dobskie, Dejguny, Kąpskie, Upałckie Large Upałckie Small Tryd, complain Great and Kruklin.
The lake developed shoreline, indented bays, peninsulas and 18 islands (the area of the islands is 122.9 ha), which are closely reserve waterfowl. Abundant aquatic vegetation surrounds the Kisajno Lake as well as bulrush can be found almost next to all banks.
The edges of the Kisajno Lake are mostly low and flat however, to the south and in parts of central part of the lake edges can be steep and high. Neighbouring municipalities: Kruklanki, Pozezdrze, Miłki, Ryn, Wydminy, Ketrzyn, Węgorzewo and Giżycko.
The surface of the lake: 1896ha
The maximum depth: 25.0 m
Average depth: 8.4m
The coastline: 50,100 m
The following fishes can be found in the lake: bream, tench, roach, pike and eel
This is the Moraine Lake located on the Great Lakes.
The reservoir has undeveloped shoreline and varied sculpture of the bottom with three small islands (3.90ha).
The edges of lakes are mostly low and flat. Surrounding is little varied, dominated by fields and meadows.
Area of: 26.04 km2
The maximum depth: 39.7m
The average depth: 9.9m
Coastline length: 35,400 m
Fish which can be found in the lake: bream, roach, perch, pike and eel